Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Brocas Helm

Here's something a little more upbeat and a little less grim than my last couple of posts. Brocas Helm have been around since the early 80's but this is only their third full-length album, released in 2004. They put out a couple of records in the mid-80's then only a small handful of demo tapes and singles until this album. Most of the material from those rare, barely-heard releases were re-recorded for this album, which they released themselves. And it's all fucking AWESOME. The two 80's records are solid slabs of classic metal, but this is definitely my favorite of theirs. They've always had a frantic punky vibe and they don't take themselves quite as seriously as some of the other bands playing "epic" metal. Here's a sampling of the lyrics from "Drink and Drive";

"I drink and drive,
drink and drive,
got mothers against me,
but I'm still alive!"

And when "Skullfucker" comes on in the car, I just gotta yell along with the chorus. I'll let you hear that one for yourself. Reccommended for fans of Slough Feg, Thin Lizzy, Manilla Road, ect., as well as any male human with testicles intact.

1 comment:

  1. Braden!
    I LOVE your blog! Very informative! I miss you! I'm following you now. I DO want to be blog buddies, so you should follow me too! Yaaaaaay.

    ReplyDelete